Thursday, August 23, 2018

Oh yeah, you need money

What a weird trip. Two weeks, as I’m apt to do, I was running short on time. I took a little nap next to the poker room and it was about a half hour until my bus came. I was a zombie. I had to get my bag, brush my teeth, and it’s a long walk to do that stuff. I had to decide if I wanted to put my money in the box or catch the bus. I chose the bus and took the money home and put it in a bag in the corner.

Fast forward to the trip. I get there, I win the bigger bus coupon roulette spin. The spinner guy HATED me. He tried to give me those roulette only chips but I wanted red 5 dollar chips instead. He got annoyed. I was supposed to win 70 bucks on my final spin but he tried to short me 5. I wasn’t having that and I got all the money.

After checking in, I go to my box. There’s only an ounce of gold and like 20 white chips in there. Oops. Forgot the money. I had about 500 dollars cash in my wallet but that’s not nearly enough to play.

Since I have a platinum card, one thing they offer are free cash advances on your credit card. I wanted to take 5k out, which would have cost 107.99. I tried 5k, declined. 4K, declined. 3k, declined. At that point I did a live chat with my bank on their site. They told me it would cost 4% PER DAY until they were paid back. 200 bucks a day! I’m not THAT much of a degenerate and I said hell no. I decided to try the next day to get a marker.

I go to the credit department and they take all my info. Job, assets, the whole bit. The credit department is right by roulette and I see Ted Forrest playing. I’m not sure why. Maybe that’s his fun? So they end up saying because I don’t have enough money and I’m a poker player the answer is no(it seemed like 75% because of poker).  Very frustrating, but I had one last ace in the hole.

Mike stayed in the room that day(usual thing). I told him my situation  and I ended up trading the gold to him for 1100(though it was worth 1178 at the time) as long he trades it back to me at that price. So I had a roughly 1600 roll. I like to buy in for 500(the max) at 2-5 NL and 3 buyins isn’t gonna work. But I had 8 buyins at plo since I like shortstacking that game.

Great plan. I win +124 in my first tiny session, and then plo8 opens up. I like to buy in for the max 1k in that. Very dangerous. I decide to nit it up. That’s the plan from now on. Low cards and combos. I win 155 in 4.5 hours. The only hands I lost significant on were flopping 3 pair and losing to top set, and it was a limp pot in the B.B. Disgusting. Also one where I have a set and second but flush draw on a 9QK board and the guy apparently had J10A with nut clubs. I lose on setups not bad play.

I played plo again later. Super good session. I won 704 in 3 hours 25 mins. There were some terrible players in there(one lady cold called a 3 bet to 140 with 8892, flop 855!). My stuff mostly held up. I got the gold and gave back the money. I left shortly after, this time on a Saturday morning. I left because I was going to Barclays in Brooklyn to see wrestling Saturday and Sunday(NXT Takeover and SummerSlam). Fun times! Before plo started I got advice to try the slot tournament. 2500 top prize and they pay the top 10 over a 6 hour period. I didn’t win but it’s sonething fun the GF and I can do(she’s with me now) over the next 3 days and we can split the money.

2 comments:

  1. either buying in for the max is a good idea, or a bad idea. so u should either do it in all games, or no games. besides arent u supposed to be better in PLO than in NL? or do it like me just keep martingaling buyins til u are up for the session

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends how you look at it. Plo is fucking crazy sometimes at Foxwoods, so I want to play for 200, try to run it up, and get out. Plo8 plays so nitty I can just stay with the max and feel ok. NL is in the middle. I feel I have an edge so I buy in for the max, but there’s so many grinders that I’m just forced to pull out a lot when too many arrive at my table

      Delete